Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Yay Goodwill!!

Today I got my first fall paycheck from my teaching gig, and I celebrated it with a whirlwind shopping trip - to the Goodwill. I know that sounds pitiful. I should be celebrating with a trip to the mall or lunch with the girls at a shee-shee bistro. But instead I celebrate the return of bi-weekly paychecks by digging through second-hand clothes.


The truth is, I've made it a rule that my discretionary clothing (clothing I want but don't necessarily need) should either be handmade or purchased secondhand. Even better is when I make them myself using fabric repurposed from secondhand clothes.


And I don't really shop at Goodwill that often. I prefer finding my secondhand clothes at church rummage sales, where they are priced MUCH lower. How sad is it that I think of Goodwill as being "expensive"? When the same shirt you can find at a rummage sale for a dollar costs $3.50, that's more than 3 times the cost. But rummage sales are only here and there and not open for shopping on a random Wednesday morning, so it's off the Goodwill for me today.


I did pretty well, even with the inflated Goodwill prices. I walked in to see a sign that the green colored tags were all buy one, get one free. Woohoo!!! I grabbed up a handful of men's polos and long-sleeved tees with exactly that color tag.


And then I took a stroll through the women's clothing. I snagged up a pair of embroidered chambray drawstring lounge pants for $1.55, a pair of stretch khaki cords for $3.75, and a long-sleeved tee in one my most favorite color combinations - gray and yellow.


Total cost for my shopping spree was $13.85. Yay Goodwill and happy paycheck day to me!!

Sorry - no pics of my haul. I had planned to lay it all out and snap some photos, but the pieces have already all migrated to various project stacks and laundry piles.



Toodles,

6 comments:

Chris said...

There is a certain high one obtains when finding great deals. Congrats. What a great way to "celebrate".

ElegantSnobbery said...

Ha! Sounds like my kind of paycheck spending! After living next door to a Savers, there's just no going back to department store/mall shopping for me!!

Awesome celebration!!

Denise Felton said...

You rock so hard. I can't wait to see what you make out of your finds.

cindy lee said...

Thank you for sharing.I love this blog very much.Welcome to my own blog ugg outlet.In my blog,i will share many interesting thing such as UGG Classic Short Boots 5825

crafty geordi said...

Your post made me laugh. I never pay retail, even at the thrift store! I always shop the 50% off days at the Salvation Army. I even furnished my new house with S.A. half off furniture.

Kat said...

I love GoodWill! Here I thought ours was the only one that has ridiculous prices!!! I stalk the isles for books and clothes I can re-purpose...oh..and our Joannes donates to GW so sometimes I can get YARDS of fabric for pennies!!! Ahhhh I love second hand stuff! :)