Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Shield your eyes...

...because this dress is BRIGHT. I made it for my niece's 5th birthday this Saturday. The nieces all play together at my mother-in-law's house and I'm all the time stopping by to try some dress or another on Liv to check the fit. I thought it would be fun for her cousin to get a dress of her own.

I don't have any illusions that her cousin thinks that I make the greatest dresses ever. But I do know that she really looks up to Liv, and so having something like Liv has will probably be pretty cool.

I gotta tell you, I really struggled with this. For the piles and piles of t-shirts I have stacked ready for a refashion, I wasn't able to come up with a killer color combination that included the all-important bright pink. I played around with color for several days before I resigned myself to the brown and hot pink.



The construction of the dress is really pretty simple. It's a long t-shirt with a ruffle added to the bottom. I like this drop-waist ruffle style because it grows with the child. There's no defined waist, and as long as it fits across the chest then it's wearable. If the dress gets too short to be worn on it's own, just add a pair of jeans and call it a tunic. For cold weather, layer it over a pair of leggings and a long-sleeved shirt.

I had a close-up of the kitty cat applique, but Blogger seems to think that it needs to be rotated. I didn't think a sideways kitty made a good photo, so I'm leaving it at just the one pic.

Toodles,

2 comments:

Denise Felton said...

I should have known better than to heed your warnings. This dress is PERFECT. The brown dot print calms down the pink, but it's all still so girly. And that kitty kat -- OMG you rock!

My Back Porch said...

I guess I don't understand-but how did you find material to make the skirt match the sleeves and neckline or did you add those too, to a sleeveless tank tshirt?