Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What I did over my bloggin' vacation (long post, pic heavy)

It's only been a little over a week since my last real blog post, but it feels like it's been ages. It's been a busy busy week with lots of weather, playtime, worktime, partytime, etc...

So what did I do for those 7 days? I feel like I should give one of those "What I did with my summer vacation" reports...

Snow Days

It's been a long time coming, but we finally got a real snow.



It came down hard, and fast, and in big flakes. There was even enough of it for us to make a snowman.



And of course with that snow came THREE DAYS off of school.




Created a D-Ring Play Toolbelt

I made this for my daughter's little play tool set.



I'll be writing up a tutorial for this in the next day or so.

Made a Sleepshirt

So I've been knowing for a long time that my sleepwear has been... umm... less than attractive. Old, worn-out, faded, stained t-shirts, YIKES! I like the idea of wearing cute clothes for sleeping, but the need for comfort always wins out. I like the idea of the cute little satin sleepies, but in reality I want to wear a soft knit shirt. And yet, the only soft knit sleepshirts I seem to be able to find in the stores have ridiculous pictures of Tweety Bird on them.

I finally had a dash of inspiration and realized that if I could piece two too-short cute tees together to make one longish tee, then I could piece three of them together to make a colorblocked sleepshirt.




It's not an earthshattering refashion by any means, but it does serve its purpose. It's comfortable, relatively fashionable, and at only 50 cents per shirt at a rummage sale it's also economical. I'll be making more of these.

Hosted a Valentine's Tea Party

Every year at Christmas we host a Cookie Decorating Party for all of Liv's friends. This year we decided to simplify things and invite only school friends to the annual cookie party, and then have a Valentine's Tea Party for her other friends. Of course, by the time the tea party rolled around, the guest list had expanded to include school friends as well. I suppose I should have seen that coming, right?

So after the snow days and the sewing projects and the getting caught up with schoolwork, we cleaned and baked and cleaned and baked and put together Liv's tea party.

Think there was enough food?



And the seating. We didn't have enough room around our dining table for the food and the kids, so we made little tables from boards and upturned 5-gallon drums. The kids sat on the floor.



And of course after the desserts (and before, too) there was a lot of running and playing and general mayhem. Here they all are playing inside the big tent we put up in the den.



The kids all had so much fun, I'm afraid this will also become an annual event. :)


Toodles,

1 comment:

Denise Felton said...

This post made me so happy. Livvie is a snaggle-tooth!!! That's so Big Girl. And the tool belt rocks. And the sleep shirt is perfection. And the tea party! The tea party! I want to go back in time and come over to your house and help make tiny little tasty treats. So pretty. And what fun! You are Divine.