Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Never the same game twice...

One of the things I love about Liv being a big ole' 6-year-old is that we've moved into the world of board games. And not just Candyland or Chutes and Ladders, but games that the whole family can actually get into. Games like checkers that require strategy. Or games like Battleship that requires logic. Or good old-fashioned backstabbing games like Sorry.

When I was a kid, one of our favorite games was Bonkers. Anyone else remember that game? You built the gameboard as you went with little cardboard tiles that told you to move forward 10 or back 3 or go to Roll Again. It was "never the same game twice."



Our Bonkers game is long gone, the victim of a house-purging and subsequent yardsale. Sadly, they don't make Bonkers anymore. But that doesn't mean they're not still available. After a fit of nostalgia one night, I hit Ebay and grabbed one from an auction. A week later it arrived in the mail. One game, and Liv was hooked.



She loves the "make it up as you go along" and the crazy graphics (1970's, anyone?), and the fact that she can really smoke us at the game. I love that we're partaking together of one of my childhood memories, moving together back in time to when I was also a 6-year-old girl who loved the "make it up as you go along" and the crazy graphics and the chance to outsmart my opponent. And though it truly is never the same game twice, I think it's better this second time around.



Toodles,

1 comment:

goodwillgirl said...

Your daughter is adorable and so lucky to have a mom who makes her cool clothes.

My kids were asking me about Mystery Date the other day. Hmmm...I think I'd rather try Bonkers. I once found a Beatles Flip Your Wig game at a garage sale for a quarter and sold in on Ebay for $65.