Thursday, May 8, 2008

Play date

We had a play date at our house - for the kids and the grown-ups. My friend Kimberly was off work this week and suggested that we get goether with our friend Janna for some crafting time. I was the world's worst hostess, with a messy house (thank you, strange-weather-front-and-resulting-sinus-headache the night before), a non childproofed house, and nothing but Little Caesar's for lunch due to the lack of any clean counter space to cook.

Luckily, good friends don't care so much what your house looks like, and we all had a great time despite the cluttered backdrop. Janna and I pretty much sat and talked and corralled children. But as always, Kimberly accomplished some serious crafting. Today she was making some handmade 4th of July cards to donate to the troops overseas.

Her energy is inspiring to me. If it were me, I'd fiddle around and consider myself productive to have made three, maybe four. Not Kimberly. She sets to work and she makes easily 15-20 cards. I love watching her work because she's so free with it. She's in the moment and she just lets her hands follow what her mind thinks, and trusts that it will all come together in the end. And it always does, so obviously she's doing something right. Whenever I feel myself getting wound up too tight with my design, working and reworking the life out of a project, I just try to channel a little Kimberly. A little of her energy and her confidence and her fresh perspective, and I'm good to go.

2 comments:

Denise Felton said...

Totally. Keagle is a goddess. I hope the rest of the YaYas will get a peek at her July 4 cards. I'm sure they're--as she says--gawjus!

Janna said...

They were "gawjus"! I didn't even bring anything to craft with, as I already knew I'd spend the entire time chasing Lane. He's such a climber, nothing is babyproof enough when he's around - it isn't just your house, Anne.