Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Baby blanket - FINISHED!!!!

I thought I'd post some pictures of the finished baby blanket today. I made it for some friends we visited while on our vacation. Well, for our friends' little baby boy. The design came from Liv's little creative mind, and I burned through some old fabric stash to create the different blocks of color.

The last picture I showed was of the pieced top. I purposely didn't post any pictures during the quilting process because I wanted to have a grand unveiling of sorts. So....



HERE IT IS!





I quilted in the ditch on the logcabin block, and then in straight lines coming out from it in order to simulate the rays of a sun. I alternated the thread color - some lines are stitched in white, others in yellow or orange. The color variations ended up a more subtle touch than what I had anticipated, but I like the result.




Here it is on the back. You can see the thread colors better here.




Another little detail that I added were some free-motion stitched words randomly placed here and there in the field of rays. I looked up the meaning of the little boy's name - Wyatt - and placed those words in the quilt. The words I used were: strong, water, hardy, brave, little warrior.

The words are actually pretty small, maybe 1/2 inch in height. It was NOT easy to quilt. I am so intrigued by people who can make these beautiful free-motion stitched feathers and stippling on their machines. I struggled so much with these little letters. I think it was the weight of the quilt and the friction with the table. I just couldn't get that sucker to move! And if you can't move the quilt, you can't make the stitches. Ah well... That's another project for another day. Meanwhile I'm just really proud of this quilt for baby Wyatt.

10 comments:

Lisa_in_AR said...

Oh WOW!!! It turned out GORGEOUS!!!
Now you just need to whip up a couple dozen more to sell in the pot pie ETSY shop...

Anonymous said...

It's so beautiful! What a talented mother/daughter design team. It looks like a sunrise, quite apt for a new baby.

ScrapbookDBA said...

It turned out perfect! Your eye for color and design is always so amazing!

Wonderful job!

Kimberly

Unknown said...

Wow!!!! That is fantastic, Anne!! You and your little muse of a daughter must be over the moon with pride for the gorgeous quilt! What a lucky little baby!!

Denise Felton said...

Annie, the quilt turned out so perfectly. What a wonderful (and snuggly) keepsake for little Wyatt. I SO agree with your other commenters. Make more and sell them in O PotPie's shop!

Oh Mandie said...

oh it came out so lovely!! I'm sure the teeny recipient of this will have lots of cozy sweet dreams!

Stacie Hoo said...

It's absolutely splendid! I love all the colors and the details.

Janna said...

This is one of the coolest quilts I've ever seen! The design is brilliant! Olivia is such an artist already at the ripe old age of 4! And she obviously gets all of her talent from her creative mama. Little Wyatt is going to love this quilt!

SuzyQSparkles said...

Followed you over here from the comment you left on Amanda Jean's Crazy Mom Quilts...

Like the quilt, but LOVE the idea of stitching the meaning of the name into the baby quilt! I often stitch words into my quilts (see http://suzyqsparkle.blogspot.com/2008/05/color-me-happy-quilt.html ), but this was a new take on it.

Thanks for sharing.

Suzy :)

Amanda Jean said...

what a beautiful quilt! thanks for leaving me the link. I LOVE the colors you've chosen. and the words stitched in to the quilt are a wonderful addition. nice job!