I quilted in the ditch on the logcabin block, and then in straight lines coming out from it in order to simulate the rays of a sun. I alternated the thread color - some lines are stitched in white, others in yellow or orange. The color variations ended up a more subtle touch than what I had anticipated, but I like the result.
Here it is on the back. You can see the thread colors better here.
Another little detail that I added were some free-motion stitched words randomly placed here and there in the field of rays. I looked up the meaning of the little boy's name - Wyatt - and placed those words in the quilt. The words I used were: strong, water, hardy, brave, little warrior.
The words are actually pretty small, maybe 1/2 inch in height. It was NOT easy to quilt. I am so intrigued by people who can make these beautiful free-motion stitched feathers and stippling on their machines. I struggled so much with these little letters. I think it was the weight of the quilt and the friction with the table. I just couldn't get that sucker to move! And if you can't move the quilt, you can't make the stitches. Ah well... That's another project for another day. Meanwhile I'm just really proud of this quilt for baby Wyatt.